Mi vida loca in Montreal and wherever I go!

Monday, December 06, 2004

"Modern" names

Is "@" a name? A father in central China has been refused permission to name his son '@'. The dad wanted to name his son after the keyboard character that appears in every email address, arguing it was now in common usage. But officials in Zhengzhou, Henan province, refused to register the name on a legal technicality, the Beijing Morning Post reported. Under Chinese law, all names must be capable of being translated into Mandarin.

Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. Click the link (title) if you don't believe me.

Guess he's following Hollywood's baby-naming rules. You know, do like Gwyneth and call your daughter Apple, like Rob Morrow and call your son Tu (get it, Tu Morrow! haha! "hey,I saw Tu Morrow yesterday!") or like this other celebrity guy who called his kid Audio Science.

Can anyone tell me why anyone would name their child
Fifi Trixiebelle, Peaches Honeyblossom, and Little Pixie (like the daughters of rocker Bob Geldof), or Rumer, Scout and Talluah Belle (like Demi Moore named her daughters).

Nothing's weirder than @, unless you count the artist formerly known as Prince. His name consists of 4 symbols, including an @.

I'm not sure whether I find this funny or sad. I cannot believe how stupid people are. You're naming a kid here, not the newest version of the iPod. I know, I know, people want to come up with unique names so that their kid stands out- as do I- but some names are a bit too unique.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home